Wednesday 12 February 2014

Recipe: Mushroom and Bread Soup with Parsley



Today I'd like to share a recipe for a soup that I made recently. You know how it is when you've run out of things to make...you start searching for inspiration. Well it was a day such as this when I remembered that I had a cook book with nothing but soup recipes in it. Since we're in the depths of winter, a bowl of hot soup is always welcome. So I thumbed through and found one soup recipe in particular that didn't take too many ingredients. It looked simple enough so I gave it a go.

It's called mushroom and bread soup with parsley. It's thickened with bread and it's a rich mushroom soup that's very satisfying. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

75g /3oz /6 tablespoons of unsalted butter
900g/ 2 pounds of portobello mushrooms, sliced
2 onions, roughly chopped
600ml/ 1 pint/ 2 and a half cups milk
8 slices of white bread
60ml/ 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
300ml/ half pint/ 1 and a quarter cups double (heavy) cream
salt and black pepper


Melt the butter and sauté the sliced mushrooms and chopped onions over gentle heat for about 10 minutes until soft but not browned.

Pour the milk into the pan.

Tear the bread into pieces, add to the pan and leave to soak for 15 minutes. Purée the soup and return it to the pan. Add 45ml/3 tablespoons of the parsley, the cream and seasoning. Reheat and garnish with the remaining parsley.

Serves 8

My result:



The soup was delicious! Okay, mine looks more like stew but it's because I veered off of the recipe a bit  ;-)  I decided that I wanted a chunkier consistency since it was an extra cold day and I wanted us to have something hearty for dinner. Next time I'll take out my blender and try the more blended version. At least this way I'll get to try the chunkier version versus the smoother one and decide which one I like best. It was delicious though so I'm sure either version would be wonderful. I think this one goes into the Recipe Hall of Fame!

No comments:

Post a Comment