Friday 16 May 2014

Creative Maze: Costume-making for Film


Hi there.  Two weeks have flown past, and I'm here again to report on the progress of the Huntress costume.

Last time, I'd got as far as sewing the bodice and its lining, which I then stitched together.  This time, I can show you the next two stages of constructing the dress:


Here is a poor photo (sorry!) of the skirt.  Nearest you is the scooped front facing - the alteration to the original pattern requested by the film-maker.  The skirt panels have been stitched together, the seams turned and finished, and the skirt is fitted to the bodice at the waistline mark with some gentle gathering in places.

Easing the skirt into the bodice
View from the right side after sewing the skirt to the bodice - so far, so good, and the seams seem to be in the right places...
Constructing the very time-consuming and fiddly sleeves - made from shaped velvet sections which are interfaced, lined stitched and turned right-sides-out, and finished with a upper and lower sleeve band.  Here I have just attached the lower sleeve band and need to slip-stitch the lining in place, which hides all the unfinished inner seams.
Right-side-out...  After this, I had to stitch some brown 6mm ribbon around the lower sleeve band.  That was interesting!

Slip-stitching the upper-sleeve band lining in place, after attaching the band over all the sleeve pieces which needed to be gathered evenly - I tacked them in place to make sure they couldn't move!  I love these tiny slip-stitches.
Here, I am stitching the very last popper on to the shoulder strap - these poppers are sewn on to the upper sleeve band and clip into the ones sewn on to the shoulder straps, allowing the sleeves to be detachable, which is a great idea.  There are four poppers on each side.
Now, I have actually finished the huntress costume, but you'll have to come back in two weeks' time, on May 30th, when I should have some decent shots of it to show you...  Until next time, though, happy 'creating', whatever you might be making! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment