Friday 2 May 2014

The Creative Maze - Val: Costume-making for film - 3

Welcome back to The Creative Maze.  This week, I have another update for you on the huntress costume I'm currently making for a short film that will be shot in Scotland later this year.  I think it's going well, and here are some photos tracking its progress:

Shoulder strap, stitched, turned, pressed and trimmed with fiddly 6mm brown ribbon. This velvet material is so beautiful, but with a stretch in it, it is a total pain to work with, especially when you are attaching slippery fabrics like lining or ribbon!



Attaching the shoulder straps to the outer bodice

I had to make casings for the feather-weight boning - a new experience, as I have never used boning before!

The boning casing is sewn into the bodice lining.  Then, the boning is inserted, having been cut down to specific measurements with the boning ends rounded and the casing over-sewn to keep it in place.  So far, so good...

 A shot from the right side of the bodice lining, which looks quite neat!  I'm surprised!

I had to mount it on the dressmaker's dummy, just to see how it looked...

...and with the right side of the bodice lining facing the body, which is how it will sit after a bit more construction.


Here you can see the bodice, the lining and straps, all mounted together on the dummy, and it's coming together well!
So, that's how far I'd got a couple of weeks ago, before the Easter holidays, entertaining visitors and two weeks of having kids at home!  I am much further on with the costume now though, and might even get it finished tonight, so I'll be back in a couple of weeks with another update.  Until then, happy creating, whatever you may be doing!  I'm off to the spare room now, to get back to sewing, but I'll have to wade my way through the mound of fabric clippings and threads to find the machine first!  Note to self: Must vacuum the spare room this weekend... :o)

Why not get in touch with us, either via the comments box or by email, and let us know what you're creating at the moment.  We'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment