Monday 13 January 2014

Sanctuary - Self

2014 is here...it's a new start and I'm doing my best to embrace it. After all of the hectic times during the holidays, it's nice to renew yourself with a bit of  "me time" if you can find the time. We all have busy lives these days and a lot of us say if we only had time we'd take more time for ourselves. I say this all the time, but I'm realizing lately that if I don't give "myself" any time then what's the use in doing anything. I'm the only me that I have. So in this new year I'm going to do my best to take a bit more "me time". Even if I only get a few minutes per day, those minutes are gonna be for me to take a breath and just be.

So yesterday afternoon when things quieted down a bit, I had a think about what I can do to be kinder to myself. The first thing that I thought of was skincare. I have been blessed with pretty nice skin, but lately I've noticed that it's showing signs of my tiredness and the effects of winter. Therefore I've decided that once a week I'm going to try to apply a facial mask treatment of some type whether it's homemade or store bought. It sounds positively decadent when you're used to going and going and not stopping. But taking a few minutes once a week to apply a mask can be slotted into my life if I really want it to be a part of my routine. I can apply it in no time and my skin will definitely thank me.


Next I thought about how I need to take some time for my overall health because I don't do that at all. I won't be running any marathons any time soon, but I need to get some kind of exercise into my life :) So I'm going to try Pilates. I bought a book over the holidays about taking up the practice in a gentle beginner's way so I'm going to give this a try. I like the idea of strengthening my core and getting some good stretches. I hope to progress to other exercise options, but for right now I think that this will be plenty to get me on my way.

I think that it's so important that we take time for ourselves because the self is who we are and that needs care. Here's to finding peace within and time for ourselves! 

No comments:

Post a Comment