Wednesday 30 April 2014

Food: Cauliflower Cheese and Bacon at The Glasshouse Inn, May Hill, Gloucestershire - Val

Hello there, and welcome back to 'Food' at Labyrinthus XXI.


It was my birthday recently, and to celebrate, we decided to eat out somewhere new, as we tend to keep going back to the same old tried and tested places.  Well, that gets boring, doesn't it?  So, we spent a while trawling the internet and reading reviews, and found a gorgeous old pub in glorious countryside just west of Gloucester (sorry about all the adjectives, but it was lovely!).  We went last Saturday evening and arrived in the nick of time, nabbing the last free table, which was really lucky as people literally started piling in - I guess it's quite a popular pub!



The pub has a good menu and a specials board, and I chose this:

The photos really don't do it justice...

I'm a big fan of Cauliflower Cheese and Bacon, but only when you can actually taste the cheese, and trust me, you could with this one!  I've had lots of versions of this dish in different restaurants and pubs, and this was, by far, the best.  There must have been a whole floreted cauliflower in the dish, covered in a rich cheese sauce with three or four pieces of thick back bacon laid over the top.  Then, there was a thick covering of melted cheddar, which I'm sure you can see from the photos (and my mouth is watering from writing about it now).  It was served with chips and a green salad, was huge, piping hot, and it was delicious.  I couldn't eat it all!  I even left chips on the plate, which is unheard of as I LOVE them.  I hate to think what the calorie count for this was, but...who cares?  It was my birthday...and I really enjoyed it. :o)

The Glasshouse Inn is full of quirky vintage objects and taxidermy pieces, which might seem strange, but did enhance the country atmosphere:

 

It is a pretty red-brick building that has been a public house for over 120 years, and its name reflects the old glass-making traditions of the area.  The pub has a beautiful garden and an unusual outside eating area.  Have a look at this table set inside a topiary tree:


From inside, looking up:


Across the road, cut from the hedge of another property, is this beautiful topiary house:






What a wonderful, quirky place this is, and I'll definitely be visiting again!

If you're interested, you can look at the website for The Glasshouse Inn here.

2 comments:

  1. It certainly looks delicious, are you calorie counting for the rest of the week? XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm... No. I've decided it's much less hassle to exercise more and be able to eat what I like!!! ;O)

    ReplyDelete