Monday 24 March 2014

Sanctuary

Sanctuary at Chatsworth House, Derbyshire
 Hi everyone, and a very 'Happy Monday' to you all!

I've been thinking about 'Sanctuary' and what it might mean to different people.  I'm sure we all have different ideas about it, and why we might need or seek it sometimes.  If we look at dictionary definitions we can see that it comes from the Latin Sanctus (holy) and can mean:

1. Refuge or safety from pursuit, persecution or other danger

2. A nature reserve

3. A holy place; a temple.

(From: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/sanctuary)

I'm wondering what Sanctuary means for you?


For me, 'Sanctuary' represents escape or finding peace somewhere or in some thing, away from the 'norm'.  I always see our annual family holidays as sanctuary, as we're all together enjoying each others' company in a different place, doing different things.  I've just been looking through our photo archive to find something that represents that sense of peace, freedom, escape or togetherness, and here are a few shots that do just that:

Sanctuary in a sunset, West Wales




Sanctuary in an historic garden
Hubby's sanctuary - ogling these...
Some might find sanctuary here...
...or here...
...or here, wild-walking at Holly Howe in the Lake District...
...but here's mine, lake Coniston, on a summer's eve.
 Aahhh...  I feel better now!  Looking at these photos and others from the same holidays makes me realise the sense of sanctuary that exists in looking back at the past.  Memories have flooded back, especially where my children are concerned; it's amazing how a photo can evoke something someone said or did, or make you remember what you ate that day (always a good memory to have...hopefully!).  These are precious, irreplaceable things that have made me remember, smile and laugh at things that often become buried under everyday 'stuff', and I think I'll dig into the photo archive more often!  What does Sanctuary mean for you?  Leave a comment in the box below - Dori and I would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment